Break is a debuff in Xenoblade Chronicles.
Break has no effect by itself, but makes enemies susceptible to arts that cause Topple. An enemy inflicted with Break has two wavy pink lines at the top-right corner of their description box.
Most large enemies have total resistance to Break outside of chain attacks. In those cases, break can only be inflicted during chain attacks. In addition, most flying monsters are immune to break debuff.
In order to damage Mechon with normal weapons they have to be toppled. With some exceptions, this means inflicting Break on them before.
Several arts inflict Break, such as Shulk's Stream Edge. Such arts are colored pink, and therefore increase chain attack damage when used subsequently. Equipping the Break Gem grants auto-attacks a chance to inflict Break on hit. Enemies do not utilise Break.
- Stream Edge: One of Shulk's arts.
- Air Slash: One of Shulk's arts.
- Metal Blast: One of Sharla's arts.
- Electric Gutbuster: One of Dunban's arts. Only causes Break if used directly after his Gale Slash art.
- Air Fang: One of Fiora's arts. 2nd hit results in Break.
- Tantrum: One of Riki's arts. 3rd hit results in Break.