For those who have not completed Xenoblade Chronicles, this page or section may contain spoilers regarding the plot. Discretion is advised.
|Melia in Xenoblade Chronicles|
|Species||Half High Entia|
|Hair color||Light lavender|
|Voice actor(s)||Shiori Katsuta|
- "What trials await me, I wonder? I must not lose focus!"
Melia Antiqua (メリア エンシェント, Meria Enshento, Melia Ancient; English dub: /ˈmeliə ˈæntɪkwə/ ) is one of the seven playable characters in Xenoblade Chronicles and is part of the High Entia race. She is a powerful mage who lives in the Royal City of Alcamoth prior to the game's events. Her true age is unknown in the game, though her brother Kallian is 151 years old. The art book "Xenoblade: The Secret File" reveals her age to be 88 years. Her arts focus on summoning elemental spirits and ether magic.
Melia is the daughter of the High Entia Emperor Sorean Antiqua and his second consort. Imperial tradition states that the emperor take two consorts; one a High Entia, and the other a Homs. Melia, daughter of the Homs second consort, is of mixed High Entia and Homs heritage. Melia's mother is never seen and is only alluded to in dialogue as, due to the difference in the rate of aging between Homs and High Entia, she died of old age sometime before the events of the game. An NPC in the imperial palace however does state that Melia has grown up to resemble the second consort as a young woman.
Melia is partial to polite and formal behaviour, though does not seem to mind Riki calling her Melly (Melia-chan). She also has a secret crush on Shulk, something she admits only to Sharla (although Fiora implies that she figured it out on her own when she tells her to take care of Shulk if anything were to happen to her).
Melia is first seen fighting a large flying creature, later revealed to be the Leone Telethia, accompanied by four knights called Aizel, Hogard, Garan, and Damil. The knights are killed and Melia left unconscious and on the verge of death in Makna Forest. When Shulk and his friends find her, Sharla diagnoses that she is suffering from ether depletion. In order to save her, they have to gather pure ether crystals. Shulk heads to the Great Makna Falls to gather them and is attacked by Telethia spawn.
Upon Shulk's return, Sharla revives Melia by shooting the ether crystals near her body. Melia refuses to explain her reason for being in Makna Forest, but decides to accompany them temporarily and leads them to Frontier Village. When Shulk mentions his battle with the Telethia, Melia is surprised and refuses to believe in Shulk's visions. Only after defeating the Telethia and avenging her fallen allies does she come to accept his power. After returning to Frontier Village, Melia decides to officially join the group and they continue on to Eryth Sea.
Upon the group's arrival in Alcamoth, it is revealed that Melia is High Entia royalty and the Emperor's chosen successor, with the additional support and blessing of her brother Kallian. However, the decision to declare Melia as Sorean's successor does not sit well with the first consort, Kallian's mother, who resents Melia due to her half-Homs heritage as the daughter of the second consort. It is at this point that Melia becomes the target of an assassination attempt. At the first consort's suggestion, Melia is sent to perform an ancient trial in the High Entia Tomb in order to prove herself worthy as the successor. Melia completes the trial and is deemed worthy by the forefathers to become the imperial successor in spite of her half-Homs ancestry. It is at this point that an assassin hired by the emperor's first consort attempts to kill Melia with the aid of a Telethia, but is thwarted by Shulk's group.
After Melia is declared successor in a public ceremony, Mechon attack Alcamoth and Sorean travels to Prison Island. Melia accompanies Shulk's party in giving chase, but they are unable to prevent the emperor's death. Following the events on Prison Island, Melia is due to officially ascend to the throne, but her coronation is delayed for one year, allowing her time to travel with Shulk's party to seek her own vengeance for the death of her father. In the meantime, her brother Kallian serves as regent while an impersonator of unknown identity is prepared to fill in for Melia's public appearances during her absence.
Following the events at the Mechonis Core, Zanza sinks Prison Island into Eryth Sea and floods Alcamoth with ether. The action transforms the vast majority of its citizens into Telethia. Lorithia and Dickson confront Melia and the rest of Shulk's party as they attempt to escape aboard Junks, but the party is saved when Kallian and High Entia forces fly in to combat the traitors. However, Kallian and his forces are in turn exposed to high concentrations of ether and transformed, but Melia is spared from transforming due to her Homs ancestry.
Later, Melia and the party travel to the Bionis' Interior, where they confront Lorithia, who keeps the now mindless Telethia form of Kallian under her command. After Lorithia is defeated, Kallian is released from his existence as a Telethia and is able to share tender parting words that only Melia and Riki can hear.
Melias' abilities are based upon Ether Arts, being a mage-like character. Her Talent Art effectively uses the elementals she has summoned to attack. Initially she can summon Flare (which will buff the strength of all around her), Aqua (which gives everyone the Regenerate Status) and Bolt (which gives everyone near her an Ether boost), but learns more as she gains levels. Every released summon (to attack an enemy) fills her Talent Gauge, allowing her to enter Element Burst state when maxed and granting access to some powerful abilities, as well as doubling damage caused.
General stats Edit
|Max Level||Max HP||Max Physical Strength||Max Ether Strength||Max Agility|
※ These stats are raw and do not include the bonuses from the skill lines.
- each element discharge adds 10% to her talent gauge
- can buff battle members with the summoned elements
- can debuff and inflict high ether damage to enemies by discharging summoned elements or using ether arts
- can double ether damage during elemental burst
- can use talent arts during chain attacks that will guarantee a successive chain attack multiplier on the next turn
Many of Melia's arts provide a buff when summoned and do damage when released. This is noted thus in the list below: (group buff when summoned | damage when released)
- Elemental Discharge [Talent Art] (attack with a summoned elemental)
- Summon Bolt (grants Ether Up | causes electric damage)
- Summon Flare (grants Strength Up | causes blaze damage to all enemies around the target)
- Spear Break (throws back and slows an enemy, close range)
- Hypnotise (puts an enemy to sleep)
- Burst End (reduces physical and Ether defence of enemies in range, only available during Element Burst)
- Shadow Stitch (Binds enemies in a circle around Melia)
- Summon Aqua (grants Regenerate | drains HP from one enemy)
- Healing Gift (sacrifices HP to heal a party member)
- Summon Copy (resummon the last summoned elemental)
- Summon Wind (grants Agility Up | inflicts area damage around the target)
- Starlight Kick (forces Topple when used after Spear Break)
- Summon Earth (reduces physical damage | inflicts poison)
- Reflection (reflects enemy attacks except Talent Arts)
- Power Effect [Aura] (doubles range of elemental auras)
- Summon Ice (reduces Ether damage | causes chill damage to all enemies around Melia)
- Mind Blast (removes enemy auras and inflicts Arts Seal, only available during Element Burst)
Skill trees Edit
Melia initially has access to three skill trees:
- High Entia Tomb clear
- Trouble at the Plant completed
- Punish the Hodes completed
- Mend the Plant completed
- Hode Attack completed
- Mechonis Core cleared
- Talia's Research or Investigating Satorl completed
- The Imperial Ceremony completed
3 hearts Edit
2 hearts Edit
- Amethyst Melon (Fruit; Sword Valley)
- Doomsday Poppy (Flower; Eryth Sea - Trade: Arielle and Vol'aren in Alcamoth, 1*)
- Mystic Dahlia (Flower; Alcamoth)
- Spirit Clematis (Flower; Colony 6 - Trade: Anna in Colony 6, 1*)
- Forget-You-Not (Flower; Satorl Marsh)
- Night Lily (Flower; Eryth Sea - Trade: Popipo and Ma'crish in Alcamoth, 1*)
- Chimera Rabbit (Animal; Satorl Marsh)
- Venom Platypus (Animal; Satorl Marsh)
- Prism Centipede (Animal; Central Factory)
- Purple Lamp (Parts; Sword Valley)
- Rumble Box (Strange; Frontier Village)
- Steel Silk (Strange; Tephra Cave)
- "The head! Shoot him in the head!"
- "Star searing flames of absolution!
- "Summon FLARE!"
- "Water! The source of all life!"
- "Manifest yourself!"
- "Summon BOLT!"
- "Summon AQUA!"
- "Feel darkness blacker than midnight!"
- "I feel the Ether flowing through me!"
- "BURST END!"
- "Witness my true power!"
- "Aha! A weak spot!"
- "I see your strength is the genuine article!"
- "Oppose me and your destruction is inevitable!"
- "My thanks."
- Melia: "Riki, may I please stroke your soft fur?"
Riki: "Melly always welcome!"
Reyn: "Me too, please!"
- Riki: "Melly, Riki try really hard! You see it?"
Melia: "Of course, you sweet thing! Who's a brave boy?"
Shulk: "Melia, are you feeling okay?"
- "Is this all you're capable of?!"
- "Hm...A rather advantageous position!"
- "Now, healing aqua!"
- "Now! STARLIGHT KICK!"
- "None can oppose us."
- "Bravo, oh, bravo."
- "Accept this gift of healing"
- "By my flesh and blood, be healed!"
- "My strength is fading..."
- "How rude!"
- "But we cannot be reckless!"
- "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Apparently."
- "Your fighting spirit is mine!"
- "SPEAR BREAK, hah!"
- "En garde!"
- "Succumb to the power of earth!"
- "Poison EARTH!"
- "Summon COPY!"
- "REFLECTION manifest"
- "Good night..."
- "Summon WIND!"
- "Summon ICE!"
- "Follow my lead!"
- Melia is also the name of a species family of plants that the Chinaberry Tree belongs to.
- Her last name, Antiqua, means old/ancient in Latin. Melia is the only player-character in the game with a known surname.
- Jenna Coleman, who voiced Melia, went on to play the role of Clara Oswald in the Doctor Who series.
- According to the Heart-to-Heart "A Breathtaking Sight", Melia explains to Reyn that when she was young, she fell off the Sky Terrace of Alcamoth's Imperial Palace and survived, but has no memory of how. Reyn is left astonished.
- Melia has the highest accuracy and ether out of all the playable characters in the game. She also has the lowest HP out of the characters.
- Just after the events of the Mechonis Core when the party first returns to Colony 6, Shulk will be unconscious in Linada's lab. When Linada is not around (this can only take place at midnight), Melia can repeatedly speak to the unconscious Shulk for some very interesting dialogue regarding her feelings towards him, and also receive a large heart's worth of affinity. It appears that Melia was going to do something to the unconscious Shulk, perhaps a kiss, but she would later be ashamed had she not stopped herself. See animated image, but it contains spoilers.
- Melia appears as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U.
|Playable Characters||Shulk · Reyn · Fiora · Sharla · Dunban · Melia · Riki|
|Homs||Dickson · Mumkhar · Vangarre · Juju · Gadolt · Otharon · Alvis|
|Nopon||Chief Dunga · Oka|
|High Entia||Sorean · Kallian · Yumea · Lorithia · Tyrea|
|Machina||Egil · Linada · Miqol · Vanea|
|Gods||Zanza · Meyneth|