The Old Soldier's Test is a quest in Xenoblade Chronicles. This quest can be received from Jan, who can be found training ground at the east side of the Military District in Colony 9. If Reyn is in the active party, he will comment.
To make this quest available, Melia must have temporarily joined the party in Makna Forest, as well as Dionysis must be spoken to in the Residential District once Dionysis, Cheryl, and Minnie have been registered onto the Affinity Chart and Jan have got affinity for Minnie. Dionysis will ask what the party thinks of Jan's dating Minnie. Tell him that Jan is "too old for that girl", and the quest becomes available. Note that responding to Dionysis with "Love keeps the ticker going" will permanently lock out this quest.
The prerequisite affinity between Jan and Minnie is obtained when Jan is spoken to between 9:00 and 12:00 with a Colony 9 Affinity from three ☆.
"You humoured Jan's request and he's happy!"
The affinity chart will change if this quest becomes available:
Otherwise, if "Love keeps the ticker going" was chosen and this quest is locked out:
- Jan: "Regret...Then remorse..."
- Jan: "I took a long hard look at myself, after he came to speak to me."
- Reyn: "Of course. It's no good for an old boy like you to be chasing young girls around."
- Jan: "I see you're speaking your mind as usual, Reyn. But if you feel the same way, then that makes things simpler."
- [Normal dialogue resumes]